Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Scanning Europe



I've been trying to whittle my way through a multitude of slides, taken from old-fashioned days of the 35mm camera era. I still miss those days. What's not to like about the immediacy and accessibility of a digital camera?

Twenty six years ago I quit a dead-end job designing electrical signs and traveled around Europe for three and a half months with my 35mm. At the time I was still living with my parents and had saved a chunk of change that made it possible for somewhat modest travel.



I began my travels in Amsterdam and weaved my way by train on a Eurail Pass through the Germanic countries down to Italy. From Venice I headed down one side of the boot to Brindisi and caught the ferry to Athens. There I bought a ferry pass (included on the Eurail) that allowed 3 stops around the Greek Isles. I chose Santorini, Naxos and Paros. I then headed up the other side of Italy through Sorrento, Rome, Florence and Pisa on my way to the French Riviera. I followed the Mediterranean clear around to Lisbon, all the while enjoying the warm tropical climate of the southern coast. I regret not having gone to the Costa Del Sol. However, Portugal definitely made up for it.




I took an overnight train back to Madrid for a few day and then met some friends in Biarritz, France. I traveled with them for a week along the coast of France up to Mont Saint-Michel then over to Dinan, where I left them and headed to Paris for a week. I ended my trip in England and Scotland.

As I scan these photos I realize how that trip set the tone for 26 years of international travel and memories of people and places. Some still the same and some long since changed.

1 comment: