Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tecate, Mexico



This past Monday I returned from a spontaneous mission trip to Mexico with over 50 men from my church. The mission wasn't spontaneous, but my part was.

I had known about this trip for some time and had actually helped with the marketing of it. However, a couple months ago I had resigned to the fact that it wasn't a good fit for me to go. I felt I needed to hang around and earn some cash. As is turned out last week I got a call from my friend Gregg telling me that a few men had to back out and that there was a spot for me to go. I just needed to decide that day.

Well, if you know me at all, I can be pretty indecisive. I like to have my time to think things through and form "my" idea of how the trip should evolve. I'm proud to say that I decided pretty promptly to follow the nudge to go and allow God to work out the details.

Man, what a blessing it was to go and not be in control. I was totally in the hands of God the entire 5 days I was gone and was able to contribute to build one of 5 homes that were built by our church. My particular team build a home for a single mom, Noemi Castilo Sevilla, and her daughter Laura. They live in a community called Colonia Hindu in Tecate.










It has been a year since Noemi separated from her husband because he did not want to be responsible. It is very difficult for her to provide for her daughter as a working single mother. Prior they lived in two rooms with a bad roof and floor and walls of plywood.

The highlight of the trip was seeing Noemi shed infectious tears of happiness when we handed her the keys to her new home.







1 comment:

  1. Way to go Jerry! I was SO confused when I saw you in the pictures because on Sunday we had talked and you said you weren't going. Ha! Proud of you for following God's lead spur of the moment! :>)

    ReplyDelete