Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Portrait Studios of the Past

Tomorrow my grandmother would have been 120 years old. Thanks to her, we have a wealth of photographs from the olden days. I scanned these tonight from the back of photos of family and friends on her mother's side. Her mother's name was Lizzie Honert (of German descent) and resided in the Dunkirk/Fredonia area of New York state. Tomorrow I hope to share some of the photos.

I've always been intrigued with old etchings and black & white art. These remind me of the art I find in the collection of old National Geographic magazines, also from my grandmother's collection. I'm amazed at the detail and creative design going on in these. The brown paper bag I found these in was labeled with my grandma's handwriting Pictures of the 1880's. Notice the great border treatments and font styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment